In this webinar, experts from the Catalyst Center and the National Center for Medical Home Implementation shared information, based on recently developed fact sheets, (webinar slides and fact sheets: Affordable Care Act Fact Sheets for Families) on how the following ACA provisions can help families raising children with special health care needs:
- Medicaid “wrap-around” coverage for privately insured children with special health care needs
- Concurrent care for children with life-limiting diagnoses
- Habilitative benefits in the State Health Insurance Marketplace plans
- Section 2703 Health Homes for funding care coordination
LT Leticia Manning, MPH, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, moderated the session. Speakers included:
- Stephanie Mucha, MPH, Children with Special Needs Initiatives
- National Center for Medical Home Implementation, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Meg Comeau, MHA, The Catalyst Center
Center for Advancing Health Policy and Practice, Boston University School of Public Health
Resources mentioned in the webinar
National Center for Medical Home Implementation: a cooperative agreement between the Maternal and Child Health Bureau and the American Academy of Pediatrics. NCMHI collaborates with the Catalyst Center on medical home-specific activities of importance to the pediatric population and their families.
Examples of Catalyst Center resources:
- State-at-a-Glance Chartbook: provides data on carefully selected indicators of health coverage and health care financing for CYSHCN in every state plus DC and Puerto Rico.
- Information for Families (Also available in Spanish: Recursos en español) a directory of organizations and resources to help families of children and youth with special health care needs, listed by state
- Public Insurance Programs and Children with Special Health Care Needs: A Tutorial on the Basics of Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Health Care Reform Resources
- www.HealthCare.gov: the federal government website managed by the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- ACA fact sheets: (Also available in Spanish: El Cuidado de Salud de su Hijo y la Ley de Cuidado de Salud Asequible o affordable Care Act (ACA) ) Created by the National Center for Medical Home Implementation and the Catalyst Center, these four plain-language fact sheets explain specific provisions of the Affordable Care Act which benefit children and youth with special health care needs. Topics include covering wrap-around coverage, concurrent care, habilitative benefits, and Section 2703 health homes.
- Catalyst Center Health Care Reform section of website
- State Family-to-Family Health Information Centers: provides state-specific information and support for families
Health Insurance Resources
- AAP Family Resources Website: Information on this site is written with families as the primary audience
- AAP Division of State Government Affairs: can assist states, in collaboration with their AAP state chapters, on legislation and new initiatives that affect children and youth with special health care needs